The Blog Formerly Known As Practical Paralegalism
According to Robert Half Legal’s 2010 Salary Guide, the hot legal specialty areas for 2010 are:
- Litigation – A surge in litigation is generating work for experienced attorneys who can represent corporate clients in areas such as insurance defense and commercial litigation, among others.
- Regulatory and compliance – The global financial crisis is expected to result in greater government regulation, increasing demand for attorneys with regulatory backgrounds.
- Energy/environmental law – As “green” initiatives make gains, attorneys with expertise in these areas will remain marketable.
- Bankruptcy/foreclosure – The economic downturn has heightened the need for lawyers with experience handling complex bankruptcy and foreclosure matters, including restructuring and litigation.
- Healthcare – The healthcare sector is expected to remain active, due in part to new reform legislation, generating demand for attorneys and paralegals with biotechnology and pharmaceutical expertise.
- Corporate transactional – As legal departments reduce their spending on outside counsel, there is an increased need for attorneys and paralegals with transactional, litigation and regulatory law experience.
Charles “Chad” Volkert, the Executive Director of Robert Half Legal, is the guest expert on The Paralegal Voice’s first podcast, “New Hiring Trends in the Paralegal World”, available at LegalTalkNetwork. In addition to identifying hot specialty areas for paralegals, Volkert discusses how paralegals can prepare for these jobs.