The Blog Formerly Known As Practical Paralegalism
If you are currently seeking employment (or anticipate seeking employment in the near future), I recommend that you carefully review Steve Langerud’s article, “Remain ‘Bold and Valiant’ in Your Job Search.” Mr. Langerud, an assistant dean for career services at the University of Iowa College of Law, gives excellent advice applicable to all job-seeking professionals, not just lawyers.
Mr. Langerud’s “Basics” may seem like common knowledge, but in today’s competitive job market, many of them bear repeating (and posting on your refrigerator):
- Be realistic (and flexible) about the job market.
- “Sweat the professional details.”
- “Employers can afford to be ruthless in their evaluation of candidates” (and they are).
- “Crafting an error-free resume is critically important.”
- Write cover letters that demonstrate your knowledge of the employer’s business.
- Tell prospective employers how you will benefit them.
- Be “direct, courteous and honest.”
- Use a formal style when communicating via Email (no text abbreviations).
- Respond promptly to requests for documents and decisions.
- Ask for help in your job search: network.