The Blog Formerly Known As Practical Paralegalism
Employer: United States Marine Corps ~ Office of Counsel, Marine Corps Tactical Systems Support Activity, Camp Pendleton, CA; Relocated to Austin, Texas and presently seeking employment in Austin, Texas
Years of Paralegal Experience: Over 35 years (20 years on active duty)
Freedom of Information Act
Military Service ~
The first inductee from the Judge Advocate General’s Corps, U.S. Army into the prestigious Sergeant Audie Murphy Club, for demonstrating dedicated leadership.
Civil Service ~
The first Chairman selected for the Office of the General Counsel, Department of the Navy, Support Staff Subcommittee (serving from 2006 to 2008).
Published Author ~
“The Oldest Law Firm”; Facts and Findings: The Journal for Legal Assistants, National Association of Legal Assistants, Volume XXXI, Issue 3 (November 2004), pp 18-20.
Paralegal Practice Tips:
· Believe in people, trust in positive intentions, encourage ideas from everyone and actively support others.
· Be accountable for and follow through on every task.
· Use positive energy and intensity to improve and empower yourself and others.
· Find reasons to celebrate the achievements of others.
· Listen carefully to others and look at every task as an opportunity to excel.
· Create teamwork opportunities whenever possible.
· Always smile when meeting someone new.
· Take pride in your work and have a passion for excellence.
Favorite Internet Resource: LAWGURU ~ http://www.lawguru.com/
Fun Fact: My daughter asked me to be her wedding coordinator when she got married and she still talks to me…
Mr. Rivera is the sole Paralegal Specialist for the Office of Counsel, Marine Corps Tactical Systems Support Activity (MCTSSA) at Camp Pendleton. In 2000, he received an Associate of Arts in Paralegal Studies from Palomar College. He is a member of the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA). He was awarded the Department of the Navy, Meritorious Civilian Service Award in 2007; and the Marine Corps Systems Command Commander’s Distinguished Performance Award for 1996, 1997, and 1998.