The Blog Formerly Known As Practical Paralegalism
Education is vital to a successful paralegal career. On this edition of The Paralegal Voice, co-host Vicki Voisin welcomed Linda J. Wolf, ACP, the current President of the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA) and Attorney Elizabeth Mann, Department Head of the Paralegal Program at Greenville Technical College, to focus on the importance of paralegal education. Discussion also focused on entering and growing in the career field, as well as what employers look for when hiring paralegals.
In this episode:
- Why a paralegal career is still a good choice, even in a tough economy
- Proficiencies and personal qualities necessary for career success
- Trends in employer expectations re: education and certification
- How to position yourself to enter higher-paying specialty areas
- Why the paralegal field is an excellent choice for a second (or third) career
- Where to locate information about paralegal salaries and trends
- NALA’s Breaking News about its certification program
The Paralegal Voice also thanks its sponsors: Teris, West Deposition Services, Clio and NALA, The Association for Legal Assistants/Paralegals.To listen to this episode, follow this link.To download this episode to your MP3 player, follow this link.
Here are a few links to additional paralegal career resources:
- American Association for Paralegal Education (AAFPE) http://aafpe.org/
- NALA, The Association for Paralegals and Legal Assistants (NALA) http://.nala.org/
- Greenville Technical College Paralegal Program http://www.gvltec.edu/paralegal/
- US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-2011 http://www.google.com/reader/view/#stream/feed%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fpara-mel.blogspot.com%2Ffeeds%2Fposts%2Fdefault
- Paralegal Today 2009 Salary Survey http://www.legalassistanttoday.com/Paralegal-Salaries.htm
- New Paralegal Salary Survey, Sally Anne Kane Legal Careers Blog, about.com July 3, 2009 http://legalcareers.about.com/b/2009/07/03/new-paralegal-salary-survey.htm
- National Federation of Paralegal Associations (NFPA) Salary Information http://www.paralegals.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=33
- NALS…The Association for Legal Professionals ethics resources including Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility. http://www.nals.org/aboutnals/code/index.html
- International Paralegal Management Association (IPMA) Compensation Survey http://www.paralegalmanagement.org/management-resources/resources-for-paralegal-managers/compensation-survey
If you like The Paralegal Voice, please share the link with your friends and colleagues.
Do you have a request for a future show topic or a question for the hosts? Please send it to TheParalegalVoice@gmail.com.